After redundancy prompted a move from the building and design industry, into the world of Information Technology, I took up a position of shift operator at an engineering insurance company in Manchester, who later became part of the Royal & SunAlliance group.
This led to a series of promotions within the Royal & SunAlliance, firstly to Operations team leader, and then on to Systems Administrator. Working mainly on an outdated mid-range computer system, career opportunities were limited so when the IT department and services were taken over by IBM more avenues were made available.
I moved to a testing role on the AstraZeneca account, on a PC platform testing windows builds for distribution worldwide. Over time, this role developed into more of an IT specialist role. Not only did we carry out all of the testing on the full language and proofing tools builds, we created the build images and maintained the security of those builds via Microsoft Security Bulletins on a monthly basis.
We carried out hardware evaluation on proposed new equipment prior to delivery on site, product localisation and application testing on AstraZeneca test clients. I had progressed to be the Deputy Team Leader of a nine strong team, spread over three sites in Cheshire.
I took the opportunity to form my on company, offering IT Solutions to small businesses. This included sourcing an installation of IT equipment and software, along with the creation of bespoke Access Databases. My role developed again, Website Design and development became more a part of what my customers asked for, and has since taken over the majority of work that I now undertake.
Working mainly with the adobe creative suite, I now design and develop bespoke websites for a varied client base across the country and even stretching to the South of France.
With all the past experiences, and the knowledge I have gained in various job roles and companies, I now am a ambitious and self-motivated web designer with a strong technical background who is able to play a key role throughout a sites development to ensure maximum accessibility, customer experience and usability. I thrive on creating engaging creative solutions, and I am always learning and eager to absorb new ideas.
With a background in support services, operations and testing environments for blue chip organisations helps maintain a high customer focus, underpinned with 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support experience I have the ability to communicate on all technical levels.Contact Me
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5
Adobe Flash CS3
ASP and VB Script
Fixing errors & bugs
Attention to detail
Premier Search Media
WEB DESIGNER / FRONT END DEVELOPER - May 2013 – July 2013
- Designing WordPress websites that are effective and easy to use.
- Make changes to existing WordPress sites as per client specification.
- Upload website files to server using FTP protocol.
- Produce original artwork and designs for use with new and existing sites.
- Fixing problems encountered in the functioning of old websites.
Arcadia IT Solutions
WEB DESIGNER / DEVELOPER - May 2008 – May 2013
- Designing websites that are effective and easy to use.
- Testing website functionality in different browsers and at different resolutions.
- Web Hosting for customer websites.
- Domain name and Email configuration
- Upload website files to server using FTP protocol.
- Manage in house web servers.
- Produce original artwork and designs.
- Ongoing design and maintenance of new and existing websites.
- Liaising closely with a client at the design stage to ensure customer satisfaction from the outset.
- Designing landing pages and parking pages while main site is being constructed.
- Enhancing the look, functionality and appearance of a website.
- Fixing problems encountered in the functioning of the website.
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proven experience in website design for the online environment.
- Proven track record in front end design and development using CSS and HTML.
- Technical Skills: ASP, MS Access, Adobe design products and Dreamweaver.
- Experience of managing multiple projects from concept to completion within tight deadlines.
- Maintaining excellent client relationships that have resulted in repeat business and customer recommendations.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Team Leader responsibilities
Team management skills
1st, 2nd and 3rd line IT Support
Admin Studio Product packaging
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE
IBM – (AstraZeneca account)
IT Specialist 2002 – 2008
- Product Localisation: Create fully localised custom windows build from customer specifications to be used as a template for all other language builds.
- Application testing on AstraZeneca test clients.
- Deputy team leader in a nine member technical support team, offered advice and guidance to all team members and team leader.
- Hardware evaluation on new equipment ready for delivery to sites worldwide.
- Search for all device drivers for new hardware and maintaining central driver repository and driver website for use of 2nd and 3rd line teams worldwide for driver integration on their localised windows builds.
- Carry out monthly Active patching procedures on all localised windows builds, maintaining security patches released via Microsoft Security Bulletins.
- Create testing documentation including test plans, test scripts, test matrices, test reports and schedules that adhere to strict quality control for fully localised and proofing tool versions of AstraZeneca’s windows build.
- Creating fully localised language builds to be used as a template for further test and production clients.
- Manual testing on fully localised and proofing tools builds, completing all relevant test documentation within strict timescales and guidelines.
National Vulcan / Royal & Sun Alliance
Systems administrator 1992 – 2002
- Reporting to the IT manager, maintaining and providing a high level of system security on a WANG reporting system, with minimal downtime including out of hours file re-organisations to optimise system performance.
- Manage four shift operators to cover 24 hour support on the electronic reporting system, providing on call support.
- Provide operational support for over 600 home based engineering surveyors throughout the country.
- Provide head office first and second line Help Desk support using HEAT problem management system, maintaining a high level of customer service and forging excellent relationships with the user community.
Taylor & Associates
Architectural technician 1987 – 1991
To gain more constructional experience I moved to this smaller design practice working on design drawings for Building and Planning approval.
The TFL Group – Preston
Interior Design Technician 1987 – 1989
I worked as part of a small team in the Interior Design Department, obtaining experience in the production and presentation of large design schemes for Hotel and Industrial refurbishment projects.
Stradford Shopfitters Ltd
Design Draughtsman 1984 – 1987
I worked for a small Interior Design and Shop fitting company producing design and working drawings for client approval.